Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Woke up at 7 again this morning to go visit Quynh's grandfather's grave. We drove through the mountains on the way and caught some of the most impressive views I've ever seen. Really unbelievable.

Her grandfather's grave was pretty. The cemetery was on the countryside and had pretty views. Saw a bunch of water buffalo there. Quynh's family let me know that I probably shouldn't pet them, but I really wanted to.

Humidity is not exclusive to Georgia... worked up a nice lather. Quynh must sweat 100% deet, because I got eaten alive by mosquitoes and she didn't.

Decided to go visit Hue (the city, not the aunt)... Stopped for food, but the restaurant didn't have Bun Bo Hue... we went to another place instead. No Bun Bo Hue there either, but we did have some other noodles that were good and some pork with some crispy skin..... I'm fat.

Hue reminds me of Saigon in a lot of ways.... Tons of people, big city feel.... There is a really cool temple by the river that I really enjoyed. Very intricate architecture, and great views.

Got back right at 7 to meet Quyhn's  family for dinner at a restaurant in town. Interesting scene... Heavier chick in blue spandex shorts and shirt with Tiger Beer written all over it. Five or six tables of guys heavily drinking beer.... I had a glass of Red Wine from the Dalat region of Vietnam.

I ate hot pot and some goat.... I took the first few bites thinking it was beef. Not bad. In fact, I ate almost an entire plate.


Went to Tom's christmas play practice.... Later that night I came up with the greatest christmas present ever for mom and dad.... It will be revealed at 8:00 pm et on Christmas Eve.

Walking in the clouds

Grandpa's Grave
water buffalo doin' what they do

lunch

Best Spot in Hue

Hot Pot... mmmmmmmm

Goat... possibly one I saw on the mountain...

5 comments:

  1. what is it? i can't think of anything... and im running out of time! gonna miss you christmas morning :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just taking a break from playing "Hobo 4" and cannot imagine what it is you found for me and cheryl ann. Freeze dried goat perhaps??? Lovin' the blog eman

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are all going to miss you on Christmas morning. Maybe I will put your favorite ornament in a chair and give it some cinnabon and egg casserole. I could even add a little goat for extra flavor.

    Love and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what we'll do without your stories during Christmas dinner. Perhaps we'll gather around the computer and read your blog. Could you be funny, and make the baby bird face from last year?
    I laugh every time I think about that story.
    I have two questions for you:
    1. Quyhn's grandparents' graves are so beautiful and ornate. Are lots of graves like that, or are those really extraordinary?
    2. As someone who grew up watching the Vietnam War on the Huntley Brinkley Report, I want to know if the people there ever mention the War. Do they have lifelong animosity toward Americans 40 years later?
    OK, I actually have three questions:
    3. Do many people speak English?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Chris...
    1. Not all are so ornate... most are only headstones.
    2. Everyone loves me... what kind of a question is that?!?
    Honestly, though, everyone's really friendly.
    3. Most speak more english than I do Vietnamese...

    ReplyDelete