Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Hello, Hoi An



We ended up eating again before heading to the airport... Chicken and Rice... again, very delicious. The taxi to the airport took more than an hour, but our tardiness allowed us to pass through security very quickly and get on our plane. The flight to Da Nang was quick... only an hour, and I couldn't even get through an entire album on my ipod. Landed around 5 pm and met several of Quynh's aunts and an uncle.
The drive to Hoi An was pretty pleasant, but I have learned that honking excessively is part of driving here. Hoi An is beautiful, even though I've only seen it at night so far.
When we got in to Hoi An we met with more of Quynh's relatives and her aunt made us Bun Bo Hue... everyone was impressed with the quantity of food I'm able to put down.
After we ate I went and had a beer with her uncles and watched some soccer... they kept calling it football - I didn't feel the need to correct them.
After the first period we walked around town and visited even more relatives' houses. Everyone is great, but the conversations can be a little awkward.
We ended up at Quynh's aunt's house where Quynh left me to drink Vietnamese Red Wine and watch the rest of the soccer match with another uncle and his friends. Had a blast, but felt uncomfortable when they all started playing instruments and insisting that I sing Christmas songs with them. Luckily, I smelled bad enough for them to let me take a shower and head to bed. G'nite.

5 comments:

  1. Hahaha... I hope you did your rendition of "Jingle Bells" for them... That story just made me laugh out loud. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I love the shirt. Someone with good taste must have found that for you. I cracked up at the image of you singing Christmas Carols with the uncles. Hope you are getting some sleep and can't wait to read and see more pictures tomorrow.

    Love you--Ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a scene from Christmas Story that got left on the cutting room floor. Glad you're havin' a good time. Who's winning the match?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric, it's just awesome that you're doing this blog on your trip. You write just like you talk and it's hilarious. I'll send this link to your grandparents so they can enjoy the pictures, too. Give my best to Quynh, and bring back some cool treat for Emerson.
    P.S. We're having freezing rain here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eric,Quynh,we cant't wait to read and see more pictures ,Emerson look like missing you ...

    ReplyDelete